Bumps on the scalp can be very irritating and annoying, and quite embarrassing too. The problem increases further when you cannot treat it, because you are not able to figure out the cause behind it. Bumps initially look harmless, but the condition worsens up with time, if not cured.
Causes and Symptoms
There can be many causes behind the formation of such bumps. It is mainly due to infection, but the cause of infection, and the symptoms may vary accordingly. It is very important to fissure out the cause of lumps, in order to treat it.
The most common cause of bumps on scalps is a skin infection called Dermatitis. The main symptoms of this disorder is excessive itching and inflammation of the skin, and formation of pus-filled blisters, which on itching ooze out the fluid, which dries and crusts over. It may bleed when scratched off.
Acne on the scalp can also be the cause of such bumps. Acne may be caused due to microbial growth on the hair follicles if they are clogged with natural oils, dirt, debris etc. This may be caused due to wearing a hat or cap for a long time regularly, or not washing your hair regularly, or not drying the hair after a wash.
Another cause of bumps is epidermal cyst. Cyst is a small sac present below the skin, filled with white oil-like fluids. It is not so common, and is generally cured by a surgery to remove the whole cyst.
Large red bumps are caused by Hives, which is a form of an allergic reaction. It may also be caused by Ringworms, or head lice.
Cancerous growth of cells of the scalp can also cause such bumps.
If the irritation and symptoms are not so severe, you can treat it by just a few natural remedies. But in case of severe problem, you must visit a doctor. A doctor would usually prescribe an ointment or antibiotic to heal the scalp. It may be combined with oral ointment to speed up the healing process, if required.
Here are a few home remedies to get rid of bumps on scalps :
- Use an over the counter shampoo or cream specifically designed to treat lumps on scalps. This will help treat bumps, remove head lice, and heal inflammation and redness.
- Wash your hair with cool water and apply calamine lotion to treat allergy and irritation. This will also keep the scalp cleam and prevent any clogging of the hair follicles.
- After every hair wash, use a clean towel to completely dry up your hair.
- Keep you scalp moisturized. Massage your hair well for about 10-15 minutes with oil, and then wash your hair.
- Press a warm washed cloth on the head, for about 10 minutes. Do it 2-3 times a day. This will help soothe scalp bump.
- You can also use an antibiotic soap to wash the scalp.
It is always better to adopt preventive measures for scalp bumps, because they are very annoying, and can get difficult to treat if persist for a long time.
These are a few simple and effective prevention tips, to prevent bumps an scalp -
- A strong immune system is necessary to prevent bumps on scalps. Have a healthy diet rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals.
- Shampoo your hair everyday.
- Always run a comb or brush on your hair after it sets.
- Massage with oil once in a week, for about 10-15 minutes, and then wash your hair.
- Avoid using tight fitting hats, caps or any clothing. This traps dirt, sweat, and oils in the hair follicles, which results into acne and bumps.
- Drink plenty of water.