Acne is a skin disorder which is caused by the inflammation of the sebaceous glands and hair follicles that are present in the neck, scalp, nose, back and head areas.
If a person is suffering from scalp acne then he/she may find pimples popping up in the head area and on the frontal hairline.
Causes of Scalp Acne
Scalp acne generally occurs because of unhygienic conditions of hair and scalp but there are a lot of other factors that can contribute to the occurrence of scalp acne, which include:
- Poor hygiene conditions
- Inadequate diet requirements
- High stress levels
- Hormonal imbalance
- Seasonal changes
- Drug toxicity, usually steroids
- Excessive exposure to heat or sunlight
- Drinks or beverages containing caffeine
- Intake of certain spices
Oily scalp conditions and poor hygiene is a deadly combination that is responsible for most of the acne outbreaks. One can get an oily scalp due to usage of oily hair products like a shampoo or a conditioner that causes your scalp to generate excessive oil.
It has been observed that even high stress levels can prove to be a common cause of scalp acne, so it is generally advised to keep the degree of stress you take to low; this will ensure both physical and mental health.
One of the fastest and most well known ways to get rid of Scalp acne is to shampoo your hair with a benzoyl peroxide solution.
Caution: Benzoyl Peroxide can affect the color of your hair, so please avoid using large quantities of it and prefer using minimal amount of benzoyl peroxide with more concentration of shampoo.
If the Acne is too severe then you can try using coal tar shampoo several times while washing your hair.
Scalp acne is of two types:
Mild Scalp Acne – They appear at the upper forehead region and are small pimples that are pretty brittle.
Severe Scalp Acne – They usually appear on every part of the head and are black in color. These black zits are basically inflamed cysts and are generally caused due to bacterial or fungal infections.
Treatment for Scalp Acne
The following Scalp Acne treatment tips work for all types of acne whether mild or severe :
1. Cleanse your scalp with a hair product that contains salicylic acid with the help of a cotton ball or wool.
2. Use a mild shampoo to cleanse your hair while bathing.
3. Comb/brush your hair regularly as this would increase blood circulation and would help keep the scalp clean and maintain basic hygiene.
4. Using an Anti-dandruff shampoo with a conditioner can prove to be a great combo to fight scalp acne.
5. Dry your hair with a hair drier after every wash as damp scalp can give birth to pimples and small bumps.
- Do not use your traditional hair products for a couple of weeks as they might be responsible for your acne.
- Brush/comb your hair regularly.
- Do not apply hair oil while the medication is ON as it might encourage acne breakout.
- Do NOT squeeze out your scalp acne as this may increase infection.
Well, these were some simple tips that can really help you get rid of scalp acne, if followed on regular basis.
I hope this article really helped you out. If it did, then kindly consider it sharing with friends and family members who are undergoing the same scalp ailment.